Daniel Boulud’s madeleines
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 large eggs
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon or orange zest
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted, warm
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Three 20-cake mini madeleine pans or one 12-cake regular madeleine pan
• Whisk baking powder, salt, and flour in a small bowl.
• Whisk eggs, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, honey, and lemon zest in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients and then whisk in melted butter until smooth. Transfer batter to a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag and chill at least 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly coat madeleine pans with nonstick vegetable oil spray and dust with flour, tap out any excess flour. Snip 1 corner of resealable bag and pipe batter into each mould, filling two-thirds full.
• Bake madeleines until edges are golden brown and centers are puffed and lightly spring back when gently pressed, about 5 minutes for mini and 8−10 minutes for regular cakes.
• Tap pan against counter to release madeleines. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.